Monday, September 10, 2007

Where it All Began

In 1993 I hired a sawyer to saw some cherry logs at my old house. Mike showed up pulling an LT30 Woodmizer with his Ford Pinto (That was probably the last time that I saw a Pinto!) I learned a lot that day, besides ending up with 1500 board feet of Cherry lumber. Needless to say I was hooked on the idea of getting a portable sawmill someday. Two years later I rented a portable sawmill from a local shop. The price seemed right, but when I thought about it later, I was probably better off hiring a sawyer since in that case I got a saw and a laborer for the day. Results from that day were an assortment of Cherry, Elm, Maple, Butternut and Oak.
Fast forward to 1998. While friends were purchasing lunch, I stopped to see why there were portable bandsaw mills in the lot next door. Gary Russitano soon met me in the lot and told me about the mills. Unbeknownst to me, Rome NY had its own portable sawmill factory! (As it turns out, the mill that I rented earlier was made by Quality Mfg). My friends were now waiting for me. My day job as an engineer/web developer awaited, but the wheels were turning. The very next day I was back. "I believe I can help your business sir!" - It took very little convincing to get the web development/marketing job. Gary told me that they already had a web site. I countered with the truth that I had already done several searches and could not find it. The deal was sealed.

No comments: