Monday, September 10, 2007

First Day Sawing (Sept 26, 2004)

The first logs that I sawed on the Woodchuck were given to me by a Christian camp where several of my children work. They were included in a large amount of firewood logs. All told, there would be a thousand or more board feet of Hard Maple in that load of "firewood". Lumber buyers had rejected several nice logs since they were under ten feet in length. They also might have been concerned about metal in the logs due to the close proximity to campers. For me, a 6 foot board is as good as a 10 foot board. As for hardware, hitting metal with a bandmill is not the big deal that it would be on a circle mill. This day I ended up hitting 6 nails (all in one log) but was able to continue cutting with the same blade for some time after that. My impressions of the Woodchuck? - I honestly liked everything about it. It tows easy, sets up easy, it cuts straight and true. It is also lower to the ground than the bigger mills and that makes loading logs much easier.

No comments: