Monday, September 10, 2007

How Sharp is a Thin Kerf Blade? (March 13, 2007)

A couple of summers ago I lent the Woodchuck mill to a friend. I made sure to put a new blade on for him. Since he is much more competant than I at most practical things I just gave him a couple of instructions and watched him start sawing a red pine log. After the first pass through the log he remarked "the carriage is pushing kinda hard". Upon further inspection I had put the blade on backward and he had cut all the way through the log WITH THE TEETH GOING THE WRONG WAY! The sawmill is still snowed in, but spring is approaching fast. For all of you who heard about the "Lake Effect" snow in NY this past winter you can appreciate our central New York winters. We did not get the 10 feet in ten days that communities near us got, but ours was still pretty deep!

No comments: