Monday, September 10, 2007

Valuable Lesson (April 27, 2006)

One thing that has been going on is that the wood in my backyard has been drying. Last weekend I planed the first board from the wood I cut in Sept 2004. The maple turned out beautiful. It had been stickered for about a year in the back yard and for an additional 8 months or so above the ceiling of my garage. I learned a lesson when planing the board. If you read the earlier entries in this blog you will see how well the sawmill blade held up to the 6 nails that I cut in one of the logs. Considering the worth of the wood, my concern for dulling a blade was minimal. Well it came back and bit me when I planed the wood. The planner blades are more expensive, and harder to change (and set). Here is the lesson: bring some sort of marking pen when cutting wood so that you can circle any nails that you happen to hit. (Crayon works good!) Your planer will thank you.

No comments: