Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Drying Wood

For all the effort that goes into felling trees, traspporting logs and sawing lumber you would think that people would be more aware of the importance of proper drying methods. Quite often a substantial portion of the lumber that was so carefully transported and sawed is ruined on the drying pile.
The rules that need to be followed for proper lumber drying are available from many sources (especially the internet!) . One aspect of proper drying that I want to emphasize is end grain coating. For years I have used old paint to coat the ends of my logs. This is a great way to use up that old paint (especially oil paint!). It might not be as effective as a ready made end coating, but it has another advantage. As a woodworker I am mostly sawing from my own use. Organizing the wood into nine different piles for nine different species of wood is just not practical. It is not often apparent if a rough cut board is elm, maple or oak without pulling it off the pile and taking a good look at it. What I have found very helpful is to use different color paints to mark each type of wood. In the picture below of the (dry) lumber rack you can easily pick out the white oak from the white paint that was used to end protect it. The cherry lumber is end coated with a dark green. The grey was maple (I think!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)